With the unsurprising reelection of President Obama, what major shifts in employment law will we see? Here’s one guess, from the Proactive Employer:
- Paycheck Fairness Act, which puts the burden on employers to explain gender-based pay gaps, will be revitalized
- Federal contractors’ compensation practices will be scrutinized
- The government will press for more contractors to hire disabled workers
- The EEOC will continue its adverse-impact focus on items like criminal records, high-school graduation, and other various topics
- Wage and hour law will be vigorously enforced to support increased revenue via penalties
Obviously the National Labor Relations Board will also continue to play a larger role than it traditionally has, likely continuing its entry into areas it historically left alone.
The continued roll-out of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will go on unabated, with many major changes becoming effective in 2014.